Frequently Asked Questions
INDICATIONS DEVICE | INSTRUCTION FOR USE | CLEANSING | TECHNICAL QUESTIONS
This innovative device delivers monitored moist heat for a time-controlled session of 10 min around the eyelids which allows the melting of secretions and unblocks the Meibomian glands, thus improving eyelid health and ocular comfort.
Eyelid hygiene with warming followed by moderate to firm massage is recommended by an international Workshop in case of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD)(4). Blephasteam® helps to decrease symptoms such as grittiness/dryness/foreign body sensation or ocular discomfort.
The heat and moisture provided by Blephasteam® melt the secretions that block the meibomian glands in case of MGD, making it easier to remove the secretions using massage and pressure of the eyelids. Blephasteam® reproduces an environment that naturally enhances tear film quality and stability by reinforcing the thickness of the tear film lipid layer, that improves the eye surface health and daily comfort.
1. Eyelid warming : with Blephasteam® to liquify the meibomian secretions thanks to the moist heat.
2. Eyelid massage : on each upper and lower eyelid for a few seconds, to expel the meibomian secretions already fluidified thanks to Blephasteam®.
3. Eyelid cleansing : of the edges of both upper and lower eyelids, to remove crust, bacteria and debris from eyelids with a cleansing product such as Blephaclean®
Moreover, the faceseal can be used by one person only for home care use. The new Blephasteam® can be used by multiple users/patients in healthcare practices (in doctors’ offices or clinics) following a cleaning protocol.
and also for patients who have often tried many other solutions before using Blephasteam® and for chronic patients.
Blepha Eyebag® is a 1st intention treatment for consumers with MGD, or blepharitis or dry eye, suffering from dry, tired & sore eyes, who want to make their eyes comfortable daily, trying heating for the first time to relieve their symptoms.
Type of heat : Blepha Eyebag® provides heat monitored from the linseed when microwaved, and Blephasteam® provides moist heat delivering a temperature of 42.5°C.
If you note any side effects or unusual sensations after using this product, please contact a healthcare professional and report the information to the local distributor or to the manufacturer (see contacts at the end of the instructions for use).
• Home care use (used by one person only) : the water carrier should be changed every 3 months.
• Healthcare practice use (used by different patients in doctors' offices) : the water carrier is dedicated to one patient and must be changed between each patient(1 water carrier/patient).
After every single use, discard the water carrier. It should not be cleaned or autoclaved.
For the batteries:
• If Blephasteam® is used twice a day, the batteries should last about one year, but will last longer if used less frequently.
• If Blephasteam® is used more than twice a day (in doctors’ offices on several patients), the batteries may need to be replaced more often than once a year.
INSTRUCTION FOR USE
Storage (How to use Page) ?
1. Pult H, et al. A comparison of an eyelid-warming device to traditional compress therapy. Optom Vis Sci. 2012 Jul;89(7)
2. Geerling G, et al. Emerging strategies for the diagnosis and treatment of meibomian gland dysfunction: Proceedings of the OCEAN group meeting. Ocul Surf. 2017 Apr;15(2):179-192
3. Kenrick CJ, et al. The Limitation of Applying Heat to the External Lid Surface: A Case of Recalcitrant Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. Case Rep Ophthalmol. 2017 Jan 16;8(1):7-12
4. Geerling G, et al. The international workshop on meibomian gland dysfunction: report of the subcommittee on management and treatment of meibomian gland dysfunction. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011 Mar 30;52(4):2050-64